This is a journal of David, Cristita, Andrew and Ashley Rumptz we have lived all over the world.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Budapest Castle Hill Fail Dec 16, 2013

Budapest Day 3
Well we started the day with the best of intentions and you know how that works out! We took the subway to the Vörösmarty tér which has a nice Christmas Market we visited on the first day but today we were just passing through.
We walked to the chain bridge. Ok we did not go straight to the bridge as I saw this building and I just wanted to get a picture of it so we got a bit sidetracked so what we are on vacation, Crikey!


After getting directions from the nice door man at Le Meridien we were off again to  our destination the Chain Bridge.
The Chain Bridge is the oldest bridge in Budapest and it is the first link between the Buda and Pest sides of the city. Yeah, I did not know either. It turns out we have been spending most of our tie on the Pest side of the river.
Eventhough the wind was ripping through us Andrew was a brave soul and stood for a picture overlooking the Danube


The Buda Castle


The Budapest Castle Hill Funicular or Budavári Sikló is a funicular railway that takes you up the hill to the Castle District. It was my original plan to take this up and then walk around the Castle District but it was closed for maintenance on the say we wanted to go. I checked on a wiki.travel and they said it was nto worth the price as you cna walkk down and dross the rialway ine and get better views that way.  
On the right of the picture you can see the Castle District Tunel that takes you through the hill. As far as I can tell it bypassesthe castel districk so it seems to be a misnomer.
As you can see the above picture there was no way in heck I was going to walk that and I was not going to even ask my wife and kids if they wanted to attempt it. So my plan for the day was kind of at a loss! But luckily I did see some interesting buildings on our way over on the Chain Bridge so I decided to investigate. - We will get up to the Castle District in a day or two but we will follow the route explained in http://wikitravel.org


My daughter posing with the Zero Kilometer Stone
The first building we saw on our walk along the Danube was the Calvinist Church



Then on to Felsővízivárosi Szent Anna-plébánia és templom- St. Anne's parish church


Well after all this excitement we decided to be totally lame and go home for the day. I was asleep by 4 pm. Well I took a nap at 4 pm then went to be at 6 pm. I know totally lame but these early nights are making me tired. I guess I my circadian rhythms are very tied to the light cycle and it is hard to break it.



No comments: