This is a journal of David, Cristita, Andrew and Ashley Rumptz we have lived all over the world.

Friday, March 10, 2006

Latest News

I cannot get my 9 1/2 year old son to stay in his own bedroom so I have no clue about what you mean. It is the opposite some days I get all creep-ed out that he is in the bedroom with me. Granted these are usually times I am trying to have quality time with the wife so it is understandable. Most times I think it is OK. It is just one of those Filipino habits we got into, like eating rice with everything (weird but true rice goes great with hotdogs) and eating with your hands. Eating with your hands is a bad habit to get into because the boy (Andrew) acts like he does not know how to use a fork. I am worried he eats like a Cro-Mag. at school showing off my fine parenting skills.


I think the best way for me to deal with the class is to swear and cuss and make them pay attention or not show up to class. Well that is what I am doing right now. Well I am making them analyze their stories as well so that they do not just list with no comment. I had shown them a piece of writing from House on Mango Street that is a good example. Granted it is not your standard 5-paragraph essay with a Thesis Statement and Topic Sentences for the body paragraphs but it focusing on the comment not the story. I am sick and tired of students who are so shallow that they do not even know why they tell a story. So I have spent the majority of this week making them tell me WHY they are going to tell their story but not letting them actually tell the story.

Well I am at work now and I have an hour or so to get ready for my classes. I am trying something new this semester. I am going to bring in literature and sue it as the basis of analytical writing. Well I hope it works. I guess the students could not write any worse.

It is my steadfast hope that they will try to something cool with their writing like the literature I am bringing into class. I used to do this all the time in New York but had gotten out of the habit. We shall see. I will let you know ho wit goes.


Rumptz

No comments: